Among all the career options available for engineers across domains, i.e. in private, public and government sectors still the best, prestigious and coveted career remains that of esteemed Indian Engineering Services (IES). Through Indian Engineering Services (IES) a candidate acquires a career in most reputed government departments like Indian Railways, Military Engineering Services, Central Engineering Services, Telecommunication Department, Central Water Services and other esteemed departments.
In Indian Engineering Services (IES), an Engineer gets an opportunity to technically handle challenging roles and tasks which has a direct bearing on the building up of infrastructure and services of our nation.
The foundation of success can be laid on the resolute efforts but a sound strategy accompanied by never say die spirit. Success can’t be achieved overnight hence a prudent strategy matters a lot. For success in Engineering Services Exam, a candidate is required to have excellent fundamentals in the core subjects, along with thorough update on general awareness, current affairs and no less, all the traits of matured personality. Following subsequent points will be worth mentioning and aspirants should necessarily keep a note of the same viz:
- Get acquainted with the latest examination pattern and syllabus of the exam. Go through the previous year’s question papers. Compare them and see what types of questions are repeated every year.
- It is advisable not to refer several books for same topic; it is better to refer one good book for each topic, which clarifies basic concepts. Selective books are advisable for selected topics.
- For every candidate time management is very essential along with setting of the target. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe is apt in his words “One always has time enough, if one will apply it well.” The first step which every candidate should follow is to make a time table. Take one subject from each section of technical syllabus and devote at least 3 hours daily to it. Try to devote 1 hour each to English and General Studies so that candidate can take an edge as it is key differentiator for being in top rankers.
- Manage the time table such that it has good distribution of study hours for General Ability Section and technical papers, as it makes studies enjoyable and it becomes easy to sustain the momentum for longer hours, without boredom setting in and without losing interest and enthusiasm.
- Prepare short-term study goals, execute and align them with the long term ones to succeed in the examination.
- While studying the technical subjects don’t forget to make short notes of important topics. Make a separate list of formulae for each subject and revise the short notes and formulae list daily.
- Candidates should solve all the previous question papers and also practice all the questions which are given in good books; this will help them to assess their level of understanding of the subjects.
- Candidates while solving questions should set the time limit for the task and once finished solving it they must ensure that the task was completed within the stipulated time.
- It is better to practice questions on OMR sheets for marking the answers, which will help to practice the marking of correct answers on OMR sheets quickly in the examinations.
- Similar guidelines should be repeated for another subject and candidates should not forget to revise important portion and short notes of the subjects prepared earlier.
- While preparing for English, segregate vocabulary from previous 10 years papers of Engineering Services Examination and Combined Defense Services Examination. Try to memorize at least 20 words daily and don’t forget to revise those words.
- The next step is to prepare portion of English and daily solve 10 to 15 questions based on finding errors and rearrangement of sentences
- From the topics of general studies, find out the areas of interests and study in the form of a story or correlate the topics. This will help in easy understanding of the topics.
- Read Newspaper and articles, watch morning bulletin, surf websites in order to prepare for general ability paper. The currents affairs coverage of 45 days prior to the commencement date of exam.
- Solve all the previous question papers of General Science to know the main areas of G.S from where questions are asked.
- For making conventional portion strong and scoring good marks, try to solve at least 5 questions daily from the previous 10 years papers and solve expected conventional questions from the topics taken up same day. It will improve presentation and enhance the writing skills along with the rectification of the silly mistakes made during the examination
- Always remember “Practice Makes a Man Perfect”. Reserve last 15 days, for quick practice and revision. Candidates should solve as many papers as they can to score better. Practice full-length mock test comprising of all the sections, within the fixed time period.
- The first motto of the candidates while solving the question papers is to optimally utilize allotted time.
- The Objective Paper-I consists of 120 questions which are evenly based on English and General Studies. The questions on the topics of rearrangement of sentences and Comprehension are tedious and time consuming so it is suggested to solve those questions after completion of rest of the paper.
- While solving the comprehension part first read the passage carefully to get the general idea about the topic, now read the questions asked and then mark the lines which are related to the questions and answer accordingly.
- A candidate should attempt hard questions at the end after completing easy questions
- While solving technical objective papers, try to solve the questions on theory first and then work on numerical questions as there is Negative Marking for each wrong answer and cut off is to be cleared in these papers hence never try to mark those answers in which there is any confusion.
- On third day of examination there are two conventional papers. Before solving the paper, first of all read the question paper thoroughly and mark those questions which can be easily solved.
- Write answers step by step in a tidy and organized manner to give an impressive presentation and it is a best way to memorize all the essential points. All the diagrams drawn (if required) should be neat and well labeled with a free hand sketch. You will get the credit for orderly, effective, and exact expression combined with due economy of words in the conventional papers of the examination
- Write formula while solving a numerical problem, mention the S.I units of concerned quantities and also specify your answer.
Steps to Enhance your Performance in IES Exam
- Success in the examination requires consistency, never say die spirit and most importantly self motivation.
- Healthy ideas grow in a healthy mind so along with studies do devote some time in recreational activities, which enhances memorizing power and efficiency.
- Keep safely all the documents related to examination such as acknowledgment of application, hall ticket, application number and other details. This is to avoid last minute tension for obvious things.
- A day prior to the examination don’t study much, just revise the important notes which you have made. Relax and sleep for at least 6 hours so that you write exam with fresh mind.
- Keep at least 2 sharpened pencils, eraser, sharpener, 2 pens, calculator, hall ticket, etc. in your examination kit.
- Ensure reaching your exam centre before time and avoid studying during traveling.
- Don’t panic till the last moment, just remain calm and quiet and be confident of the preparation done.
or call : 9818652587